Monday, May 7, 2007

A Modern Beatitude

'Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed.'

The following was pointed out in an article in "The Remnant." This part of the Gospel comes right after Simone the Cyrenian has taken up Christ's Cross.

Luke 23:27-32
A large crowd of people followed Jesus, including many women who mourned and lamented him. Jesus turned to them and said, "Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep instead for yourselves and for your children, for indeed, the days are coming when people will say, Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed.' At that time people will say to the mountains, 'Fall upon us!' and to the hills, 'Cover us!' for if these things are done when the wood is green what will happen when it is dry?"

I'm pretty sure the wood is now dry. Are you weeping for yourselves and your children yet? I am.
This Scripture was used in an article saying that each and every one of us, and the Church collectively, must go through the Passion, Death and Resurrection of Christ in order to be saved. We should not be too surprised or angry that Our beloved Church is persecuted by enemies of our Lord. Above all, we must pray and do penance and understand that ONLY God can save Her and us.

We must remember Christ's silence "during the greater part of His Passion." This is a hard lesson for me, who wants to pull out my sword and cut off the ear of the temple guard who approaches my Lord, only to be rebuked as He miraculously heals that same ear. If I wish to follow Him, I must drink from that cup also.
God, help me be as you would have me be to all and in everything!
Amen.

No comments: